[IGDA_indies] A thought on the goal of the indie SIG

John Szeder jszeder at digitalchocolate.com
Mon Jul 26 13:24:46 EDT 2004

I think that what the majority of indie developers need is education and
resources, in particular as it relates to building a business and building
marketing.

This is one of those "known unknowns vs unknown unknowns" things; most
people either don't feel these issues are important, or don't even know that
these issues even exist.

My feeling about the games industry is that it is barely an industry. I am
working largely in wireless right now where it is less than that.

My personal career goal is to help move the wireless entertainment
marketplace towards a wireless entertainment industry.

I think that would be an interesting comparison goal for the indie SIG.

"To move independent content creation from being a marketplace into being an
industry, through helping to educate participants, including customers, and
raising the level of professionalism and quality in product offerings."

This opens the definition slightly to encompass activities that may not be
directly related to revenue generation.

Thoughts?