[IGDA_indies] GDC indie-gathering

Ben Sawyer indies@igda.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 08:11:41 -0500

Jason can correct me but what I can tell you is that as he said leaving
stuff on tables is not allowed - they send sweepers through to pick =
stuff up
so not only is frowned upon but it won't go very far.  At times though =
there
is sometimes a table that is allowed but I'm not sure if that feature =
has
been kept.

What I would do is maybe we could design a simple half page flyer =
everyone
could take and print out at a their local Kinkos and take 50 of them =
with
them to GDC.  Then what you do is just hand them out to people you meet =
who
might be interested.  I'm not saying hand them out at random just as you
meet people have something to give them.  I did this last years with the
Serious Games list and aside from my session it helped get me a dozen or
more participants.  If there were ten or more people going it would be
pretty easy for each person to hand out 20-30 just from people you =
casually
meet out there, or at parties and stuff afterwards.  There is also =
nothing
stopping people from an informal gathering at a local pub etc. if =
someone is
willing to declare a time and place. =20

At the very least talk things up - tell people it exists and get their =
card
if they're interested and say you'll send them an invite to the list =
when
you get back.  This is where relevant roundtables are useful since =
you'll
get a chance to announce you have some info for people if they're
interested. =20

Granted these things aren't as good as an official meeting or a huge =
banner
at the front of the conference center but they'll work.  It's got to be =
person by person effort at this point. =20

- Ben