[IGDA_indies] 3D engines

Brandon J. Van Every indies@igda.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 01:33:51 -0800

Bounty Hunter wrote:

> Ogre 3d (www.ogre3d.org), possibly the best open source 3d engine
> Neoengine (neoengine.sf.net), a complete game engine (network support,
> sounds, physics)
> Crystal space (crystal.sf.net), another complete game engine, I think
> Irrlicht (irrlicht.sf.net), 3d engine, very easy to use
> All of them are licensed under LGPL or even less restrictive licenses.

Add http://nebuladevice.sourceforge.net to the pile.  BSD license.  =
Nebula 1 runs on DirectX and OpenGL and is commercially proven.  See =
http://www.project-nomads.de/ .  I'm told it has also been used in 10 =
other commercial titles, but I haven't verified that.  At a glance it is =
significantly better than the other freeware engines I've looked at, no =
doubt because it's got a game company, Radon Labs, pushing a lot of the =
technology.  Downside is that at this time, Nebula 2 is very much a work =
in progress.  Upside is that project organization and discipline is =
excellent.  Nebula 2 is heavily shader driven and currently DirectX =
centric.  It'll be ported to OpenGL 2.0 when that's available, it's not =
terribly reasonable to do OpenGL shader support before then.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.

---