[IGDA_indies] Suggestions

Bounty Hunter indies@igda.org
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:01:51 -0500

El vie, 06-02-2004 a las 13:20, Brian Hook escribió:
> > 1) A major problem that indies often seem to struggle with is
> > finding affordable tools and services when they have no money. I
> > would like to see some form of "$100 & Under" listing of helpful
> > game development/business related tools, software, etc.
>
> That's a very good point.  IIRC, the Web site lists a bunch of open
> source tools, but that may actually only be in the article on open
> source stuff.
>
> In fact, that's a probably a good article by itself, briefly
> mentioning tools like:
>
> cvs/subversion
> gimp/paintshop
> blender/milkshape3d
> open office
> mingw/gcc/Dev-C++

I would add these nice game engines to the list:
Ogre 3d (www.ogre3d.org), possibly the best open source 3d engine
Neoengine (neoengine.sf.net), a complete game engine (network support,
sounds, physics)
Crystal space (crystal.sf.net), another complete game engine, I think
Irrlicht (irrlicht.sf.net), 3d engine, very easy to use
All of them are licensed under LGPL or even less restrictive licenses.
Basically, you can use any of them to create a closed source, commercial
game. Also are crossplatform, and supports multiple rendering backends:
Opengl, DirectX, software; multiple file formats (BSPs, 3ds, md2/3),
user interface and filesystem abstraction (they can transparently read
compressed files).
--
Roger D. Vargas
Linux user #180787