[IGDA_indies] next steps

Ben Sawyer indies@igda.org
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:58:24 -0500

I think to target other developers there are two other and perhaps better
things that can be done.

One is for everyone here to agree to send an invite letter to 5-10 other
indies they know of.  I can certainly send out 5-10 emails in my address
book telling people the sig exists and they'd be welcome
lurkers/participants.

The second would be for people to volunteer to find the names of 10 other
developers they don't know of and we'll send them emails too.  To avoid
stomping on each other we could just divide up the alphabet.  I'd find
people whose companies began with A-C, someone else D-F.

The best way to build up listservs are two things - getting the listserv
plugged on the right site, or sending out personal invites.

- Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: indies-admin@igda.org [mailto:indies-admin@igda.org] On Behalf Of
Brian Hook
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:40 AM
To: indies@igda.org
Subject: RE: [IGDA_indies] next steps

> I think Member of IGDA Indie SIG is a bit obtuse to some people other
> than other developers.

Developers are whom I'd like to target with that though.

> I'd say developing some sort of
> official like "Indie Game Developer" logo might be better.  It should
> be a consumer branded idea to be the most effective.

Appealing to consumers right now would be largely ineffective, since
by and large consumers don't care.  The "seal" would not be a sign of
quality assurance testing or anything else concrete for the them.

With the nascent state of the industry we should be targeting
developers so that they can all assist and help each other -- that is
the real value of the Indie SIG, and I think letting developers know
about Indie SIG will reap far more tangible rewards in the near term
than a consumer branded logo.

> While I agree some open source models are useful my point in
> highlighting farm cooperatives and artisan cooperatives is that they
> tend to band together more to improve their distribution, cost of
> goods, marketing, and customer sales.

I agree with the analogy, however I don't believe that COGs and
distribution are really the problem right now for most indies that are
selling downloadable software.  Marketing is an issue because a
handful of gateways control 95% of the eyeballs out there but I'm not
sure what a bunch of indies can really do to address that.

Brian