[IGDA_indies] Hey there

Ben Sawyer indies@igda.org
Fri, 9 May 2003 08:16:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_03B9_01C31603.3D7DE680

MessageI'm an not a lawyer and I don't play one yada yada yada... so =
verify this...

They're both right (including the idiot part)

You needn't be incorporated to deal with a publisher.  Even more so =
because you don't have assets yet worth protecting and you don't need to =
go through the paperwork and upkeep costs of a corporation before it's =
needed.  You incoporate when you're ready to and that can be triggered =
by any of the following below.

My guess is you'd only need to be incoporated when you sign the contract =
if you plan on limiting any liability.  Corporations or LLCs exist for =
several reasons the most important ones being: =20

Tax reporting reasons
Eases dissemenation of value, assets and capital among multiple parties
Protects your personal liability

None of that has to do with 99% of what you do prior to signing a deal.  =
You don't have any revenue to deal with, you can divide up with a simple =
signed letter of agreement any so called "ownership" for the team.  And =
you don't have any liability.

In terms of signing a deal or if you publish the game yourself then you =
potentially do have some of those items beginning to be created so you =
may want to do this.  Again you don't have to.  You could just be a sole =
proprieter.  Sell your game, take the money, and put it in a business =
account at a bank.  For that you would need a seperate Tax ID for =
businesses.  The IRS has this form (can't remember the name) and you can =
get this via telephone in 1 day (prepare to sit by the phone for a =
while).  The only time in this scenario that you'd be in trouble is if =
someone sued you.  If you're being sued as a person, not as an LLC or =
Corporation then they could seize your personal assets - my guess is =
your mansion could be in trouble - if you had one.  Ask yourself what =
likely hood someone could sue you for much at first though?  If you've =
taken no advance, if you've not created a piece of software that could =
destroy mankind or at least their computer, etc. you're chances of being =
sued are as good as getting me to stop playing BF1942.  However, there =
are other risks like copyright violation, and other issues you need to =
consider.  A good lawyer would consult with you to determine the =
risk-reward of doing an LLC or Corp.  The costs aren't really that much, =
figure about $500 and some lawyers will do it for free because it's a =
good way to sign new clients.  After that it's $100 a year in fees to =
file.  But you also have taxes, etc. =20

Another aspect about incoporating is some companies don't want to deal =
with groups of loosely affiliated individuals - they want a corporation =
so they know that ownership issues are worked out within that entity.  =
No one is going to send 5 different checks to five different people.  No =
one is going to sign a product which has questions of ownership issues - =
a liability the other side will refuse to encounter. =20

One thing about liability - depending on your actions, and other issues =
it's really possible for hardcore lawyers and suits to pierce "corporate =
veils" as the term is called so don't think because you have an LLC you =
can just walk down the street and off a busload of nuns.  There are =
issues involved with this all you should ask a lawyer to explain to you. =
 It's not a Sherman Tank.  In most cases you'll be fine - in others you =
won't.

My guess is you should just sit tight.  Wait until an event comes along =
that forces you to do this then just gather your stuff and sit down with =
a lawyer.  It takes a week to get it all pulled together so it's not =
like it'll gum you up.=20

I incorporated a long time ago mainly because I was taking on a partner, =
employees, and publishing books which opened up my liability =
considerably up until then I had no huge need to do it.  We did an =
S-Corp vs. an LLC there are some slight differences I can't remember =
exactly what. =20

So the girlfriends, uncles, brothers, father is right - you probably =
don't need it now.  You're friend is right in that he's an idiot because =
essentially he brushed you off and didn't give you the entire story, =
probably because he doesn't understand what you're doing and what it =
means.  I suggest you just find a good local small-biz attorney who =
finds it interesting what you're doing and just deal with him or her =
when the time is right.

- Ben
  ----- Original Message -----=20