[GSG-announce] upcoming events

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Thu Jul 31 10:03:51 EDT 2014

I hope I'll get to see many of you who will be in Las Vegas for DEF CON,
Black Hat, BSidesLV, and/or Passwords!

upcoming Great Scott Gadgets events:

2-5 August: Black Hat USA (http://www.blackhat.com/us-14/)
  Software Defined Radio

  This is the next chance to attend my two day class.  It looks like
  there have been a couple of late cancellations, so there is some
  availability for last minute registration.

5 August: BSidesLV (http://www.bsideslv.com/)
  USB Write Blocking with USBProxy (11:00 - 12:00)

  Dominic Spill will talk about his USBProxy project and how you can use
  the open source BeagleBone Black as a USB firewall for defense in
  addition to attack applications.

8 August: r00tz Asylum (http://www.r00tz.org/)
  Throwing Star LAN Taps (10:00 - 11:30)

  r00tz Asylum, formerly known as DEF CON Kids, is a wonderful program
  for children at DEF CON.  I'm bringing a few hundred Throwing Star LAN
  Tap Kits for the kids, and I'll teach them how to assemble and use
  their own tap.

8 August: DEF CON (https://www.defcon.org)
  The NSA Playset: RF Retroreflectors (12:00 - 13:00)

  Continuing the NSA Playset theme, I'll report on my experiments with
  RF Retroreflectors similar to those described in the NSA ANT catalog.

You might want to spend your entire Saturday in the Wireless Village:

9 August: DEF CON Wireless Village (http://defcon-wireless-village.com/)
  Driver-less Wireless Devices (11:00 - 12:00)

  Check out this nifty technique from Dominic Spill and Dragorn.

9 August: DEF CON Wireless Village (http://defcon-wireless-village.com/)
  The NSA Playset: Bluetooth Smart Attack Tools (13:00 - 14:00)

  Don't miss this recently added NSA Playset talk in the Wireless
  Village!  Mike Ryan will show some exciting Bluetooth Low Energy
  attacks featuring Ubertooth One.

9 August: DEF CON Wireless Village (http://defcon-wireless-village.com/)
  SDR Tricks with HackRF (14:00 - 14:30)

  This will be a reprise of my REcon presentation, a chance for me to
  talk about non-obvious uses for HackRF.

9 August: DEF CON Wireless Village (http://defcon-wireless-village.com/)
  PortaPack: Is that a HackRF in your pocket? (14:30 - 15:00)

  See Jared Boone's live demonstration of the new HackRF PortaPack for
  HackRF One.  He has implemented some amazing things on this hand-held
  platform with no host computer required.

9 August: DEF CON Wireless Village (http://defcon-wireless-village.com/)
  SDR Unicorns Panel (16:00 - 18:00)

  I'll be talking SDR with Robert Ghilduta of Nuand and Balint Seeber of
  Ettus Research.

10 August: DEF CON CTF (https://www.defcon.org)

  Apparently CTF is having talks this year.  I don't know how that will
  work, but it looks like Jared Boone will be talking about HackRF at
  some point, probably late Sunday morning.

10 August: DEF CON (https://www.defcon.org)
  NSA Playset Extravaganza!

  Three different NSA Playset talks will be given by friends of Great
  Scott Gadgets on Sunday.  It's going to be a fun day!

15-19 September: GNU Radio Conference (http://www.trondeau.com/grcon14)
  RF Retroreflectors, Emission Security, and SDR

  More RF Retroreflector fun!

22-24 October: ToorCon (http://sandiego.toorcon.net/)
  Software Defined Radio

  As usual, I will teach my two day class at ToorCon in San Diego.  The
  class dates are set, but the web site and registration are not up yet.