[kj] Geordie

Lesley Lee lesleyslee at live.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 13:20:41 EST 2023

Nothing will ever be the same. This is so difficult to process. How can Geordie have been taken from us? Of course, it is the end of Killing Joke.

It is a double whammy because we are mourning the passing of Geordie but also the death of Killing Joke too.

I could go into detail about some transcendent experiences, probably similar to others: hearing Wardance for the first time coming out of the radio like aural fire, and that guitar was central - a power unlike anything I had ever heard in music before - I went straight out and bought the single; a similarly astonishing experience on hearing The Fall of Because for the first time - again, on the radio; my first gig in St. Albans, 1981, absolutely blowing my mind, with everybody leaving afterwards open-mouthed, uttering sweary superlatives; yes, that Hammersmith Palais 1982 gig, and so on. I lost count after 50 gigs. It could have been 100.

I can't imagine another musician's passing could ever hit me the same way.  I know Geordie didn't suffer fools gladly, but my main experience of chatting with him was for ten minutes or so during the interval of Jaz's Marriage at Cana thing at the Royal Opera House, and he came across as the nicest, warmest, funniest person you could wish to meet - a memory I shall always treasure.

Obviously, many Killing Joke songs are special because of Geordie's input (the likes of Song and Dance, Aeon, Sanity and live renditions of Mathematics of Chaos - not the emasculated album version - might not be top of everyone's list, but I know what they do for me, and it is primarily because of that guitar) , but I also have strong memories of playing one of his demos over and over again - the one that became Big Buzz. It was at a turning point in my life, and it was so uplifting and emotional. It matched the moment perfectly. It still gives me chills now. Truth to tell, the Big Buzz track didn't do the demo justice. That amazing sound of Geordie's, in all its richness, power and beauty, is preserved right there in that demo.

The 1994 Astoria gig, recently reposted on YouTube in fairly good quality, has the Gibson sounding as good as ever. Communion and Mathematics of Chaos knock the recorded versions out of the park and, even without Big Paul's toms, Kings and Queens really 'kicks ass' too. There is a bootleg of a Leicester show in 1983 that superbly captures Geordie's sound also.

I have no problem with the members left behind cooking up new material from demos Geordie has left behind. That would be fitting. However, if they want to go forward and write and tour together, it can only be under another name - Malicious Damage or something that references Killing Joke would be okay, and they could even play Killing Joke songs. I just think the name has to be laid to rest.

Sadly, they won't be able to call on the likes of John McGeogh or Keith Levene. There will be somebody out there who could have a decent stab at Geordie's sound. You can see people online and in tribute groups who do a reasonable job. Maybe they would be a hired hand and the chemistry would be very different. Mark Thwaite, John Valentine Carruthers (with both of whom Big Paul has connections) or Noko might be options.

It seems sacrilegious to be discussing any future right now though. I guess we are trying to offer ourselves and others crumbs of comfort. Nothing and nobody will ever replace Geordie. That is for sure.

Rest in peace, Geordie. Thank you for all that you created and gave us. There will never be another.

Simon