[kj] Re Future of Killing Joke

B. Oliver Sheppard b.oliver.sheppard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 13:35:16 EST 2023

Alex said it best.

I recall a moment in -- I think it was the Killing Joke XXV Gathering Live
at Shepherd's Bush DVD -- where Geordie begins to play a few notes, and Jaz
looks at the audience, gestures over to Geordie, or his guitar, or the
invisible notes Geordie had just started to wring from the beautiful gold
hollow-body ES-295 of his, and Jaz asked, "Where would be without that?"

Nobody needed to answer. It was a rhetorical question, anyway. But
supposing it wasn't, the answer is of course, "Nowhere."

Re-listening to the Geordie 2009 demos today and yesterday. I have a few
photos I took with Geordie in Dallas. His guitar playing made me reassess
how I viewed the role of guitarists in bands, and over time I came to see
him as probably the most awesome guitarist working within the genres of
postpunk, goth, metal, punk, industrial -- you name it, probably because he
could so deftly veer across, blend, combine, or switch between those genres
at will. And the flourishes he'd do with, say, adding in Mid-Eastern
elements to the guitar playing, like on "Tabazan," that's some of my
favorite stuff. What a phenomenal talent. No words to express how sad his
loss has affected me, and I can't imagine how badly Jaz and Big Paul and
Diamond Dave are getting along, now.

Absent friends shall live by love,

Oliver