[kj] Lord of Chaos EP Released today

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:24:01 EDT 2022

With the 2 "new" tracks and 2 mixes from the last album, the EP is a small
dog's breakfast. The title track needed a couple of listens to fall into
place, and "Total" should benefit from replays too. I mentioned that I
hoped to hear more dissonance (vs crunch), which "Total" brings. Production
is solid, better grasp on the frequency balance and everything's place in
the stew. Welcome return.

When working with the elements of dub and its descendants from the last 50
years, it can be tricky to thread the needle between the now sounds of
today (which quickly can turn into the dated sound of last year) and a
modern but durable take. I'm not completely convinced by the remixes,
though this style by now is an integral part of the KJ sound. I would be
interested to hear tracks that bring some elements from the dub mix style
into the primary versions of the songs.

--Mark