[kj] (KJ) 2003 & Pandemonium remasters

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:16:21 EST 2022

It's fortunate that the remasters of the 80s catalog did not push the
loudness in a way that would need to be re/un-fixed on the 3rd go. The
first batch of CDs sound like nice, flat transfers. The US LPs through Fire
Dances came off a little thin. Based on vinyl singles from the UK,
it sounded like the UK LPs wouldn't be much different. Although I still
think the remasters addressed the thinness in a reasonable way, now I
waffle between the 2 CD versions. (Leaving aside an early German CD of
Night Time which is also not bad and different again.)

It might be nice to see digital omnibus editions that rolled up the LPs
with associated single sides, mixes, and radio sessions. The period through
the first album could justify a 3- or 4-CD box. At the same time, all that
material is released. In a jumble, kind of, but about as good as it's going
to sound.

--Mark