[kj] (KJ) Anybody go to Apollo Hammersmith?

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 18:56:09 EDT 2022

I went.
In no particular order -
Felt much better than recent tours: more varied set list, better sound, and almost no waffle from Jaz between tracks.  The band seemed absolutely on form - Geordie sharp as ever, Youth in the groove, and Big Paul battering those drums.
As you'll know, they opened with LLB.  I was taken aback by what a great opener it was - surprisingly funky, but also just massively powerful.  Other high points (for me) were Fall of Because, We Have Joy (absolutely wicked guitar at the start), Money Is Not Our God (visceral), Loose Cannon (always liked that one), and Pssyche (which was as brutal and danceable as ever).
There were a few tracks that left me cold - Wardance (give it a rest), D&RS (never been a fan), Total Invasion (ditto), This World Hell (ditto).  Maybe others were delighted to hear them.
Didn't see anyone filming on / near the stage - but I wasn't particularly looking, and anyway if someone had been filming from the seated area above, I couldn't have seen them.
Really glad I went.
Jamie