[kj] Killing Joke Singer Jaz Coleman Says He Had a 50/50 Chance of Living After Falling Out of Boat on Fishing Trip (mxdwn.com)

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Sun May 30 13:12:40 EDT 2021

https://music.mxdwn.com/2021/05/27/news/killing-joke-singer-jaz-coleman-says-he-had-a-50-50-chance-of-living-after-falling-out-of-boat-on-fishing-trip/

*Killing Joke Singer Jaz Coleman Says He Had a 50/50 Chance of Living After
Falling Out of Boat on Fishing Trip*

Jaz Coleman of post-punk band Killing Joke revealed yesterday that he has
been hospitalized and is in serious condition after falling backwards out
of a fishing boat. He revealed that he had been assigned a 50/50 chance of
survival after almost dying in the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/100044595392148/videos/518033456221489

The announcement came in a Facebook post, and came with a video taken that
captured the incident. It’s unclear what caused the need for
hospitalization. In the post, Coleman says:

“So there I was, fishing on a perfect day, hooked a good one as you can
see, when I went backwards over the boat. Down I went looking at the
sunlight I remembered back in 1963 when I fell into a pool in
Weston-super-Mare and nearly drowned. Every Sunday I speak to my mum and we
recently spoke of this incident. She said – ‘how could I forget?’
Apparently the other mums reprimanded her for letting me fall in. …And of
course, that’s where I thought it had ended. I have only just recovered
consciousness. Two nights ago they told my wife I had a 50/50 chance of
making it. I am being connected up again, so I have to go. I am well, and I
still need your prayers Jaz.”

English drummer Martin Atkins also posted on his Facebook page last night,
sending both Coleman and actor Charles Levi, who is suffering from minor
heart problems, well wishes in recovery. Atkins is a past member of Killing
Joke, having managed the band for a while and also performed on their 1990s
album Extremities, Dirt, and Other Repressed Emotions.