[kj] "PUT ON YOUR MASKS ...AND ANIMAL SKINS..."

Thomas Bell planetary at socal.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 13:06:12 EDT 2020

From: Gathering [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Alex Smith

(snip)

I don't believe COVID-19 was created in a lab. I also don't believe it's a hoax. There are still morgues in the streets of New York City. It's all very real.

I don't believe wearing a mask is an impingement on my personal, Constitutionally protected freedoms. At worst, it's a mild inconvenience. As has been said elsewhere, if you think wearing a mask is uncomfortable, WAIT `TIL YOU TRY THE VENTILATOR.

Myself and my immediate family have all been safe and healthy, but we do know several folks who've been infected, and their stories of their experiences are fairly harrowing.

What are YOUR feelings and experiences with this, so far?

Alex in NYC

My personal experience…. Myself and my family haven’t been infected as far as we know, although there’s been several periods lasting a week or two since March where at least my wife and I have had some odd days of weird fatigue, feeling crappy, etc.  It could just be stress, we’re all out of our jobs, finding near zero employment prospects and have dealt with a lot of outside issues.  For example – April on my birthday, my wife lost her job, the same day we had a water pipe break in the wall in the kitchen flooding half the house resulting in a two month ordeal of having the walls, floors and entire kitchen ripped out and rebuilt necessitating us staying in a hotel for several weeks during the worst of the work.  Barely a week later at the end of April on my wife’s birthday, she tripped carrying groceries and broke her arm resulting in a scary all-nighter at an ER at the height of the initial Covid lockdown. Two weeks ago, while taking a drive through Long Beach, some asshole trying to pass us on a narrow two lane street hit us totaling my car as well as three other cars when he swerved into oncoming traffic.  It was a miracle we walked away from that one. Between having random contractors in our house, staying in hotels, the hospital stay, etc, I find it amazing that we *haven’t* contracted Covid by this time.

My cousin was infected back at the end of March.  She’s high risk, has asthma and in her early 60’s.  She had symptoms went to an ER and was tested but deemed well enough to go home.  Several days later, she was in serious condition and was ambulanced back to the hospital where her previous test finally came back positive.  She was literally hours away from going on a ventilator and was given the chloroquine and zinc cocktail and recovered.  Within two days, she was back home and since fully recovered. The only other person I know firsthand (a friend) who’s dealt with the virus had mild symptoms, tested positive and recovered within a week.

The whole mask controversy here in American baffles me.  It’s nothing different then a helmet,  seatbelt or no smoking laws.  It’s designed to help protect people and should be part of enabling at least most businesses to stay open.  The haphazard, often selective business restrictions, closures, etc has really pissed off a lot of small business owners we know directly.  My wife (used to) manage one of the biggest malls in Southern California and most of their tenants have or will go out of business. The result is growing disregard for whatever continuing or future restrictions and closures that will do nobody any good.

IMO, there’s plenty of blame to go around – from Trump and the White House through Congress and The Senate right down to State and Local government and finally, to the stupidity and selfishness of a good percentage of this population.  Trump is as shitty a leader as we’ll ever have, but people like that ape Cuomo have blood on their hands as well (for sticking infected people in otherwise healthy nursing homes).  From the thousands flocking Florida and California beaches and bars to the thousands of protesters tightly crowded in major cities or Trump rallies, all enabled by self-serving politicians on both sides pandering to their perceived base.  The virus itself doesn’t know or play politics, it just transmits and does it’s damage via a coldly logical set of circumstances.

It’s funny, this country banded together for WWII, it managed to put men on the Moon in less than a decade’s span of the commitment, came together post-9/11 and now we can’t even get our shit together to protect each other against a virus.  I’d say it’s sad we’ll be the first generation to leave this country in worst shape for our children then what we inherited it in, but I have zero faith the following generation is going to do any better.

The politicizing of this pandemic by both sides is really destroying this country and costing lives.