[kj] Great new interview about Killing Joke's early days

letranger789 at yahoo.com letranger789 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 19:27:21 EDT 2020

That is a great interview, thanks Oliver!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, August 24, 2020, 6:39 PM, B. Oliver Sheppard <b.oliver.sheppard at gmail.com> wrote:

This is a FANTASTIC interview about KILLING JOKE's early days; it's with Frank Jenkinson, who was Killing Joke's photographer until about 1981. (Frank also photographed many other seminal postpunk bands in the golden age of the movement.)

JENKINSON: "Everybody in the Killing Joke camp thought they were the new SEX PISTOLS basically. And the Pistols' influence, which created KJ's philosophy towards the media as far as I was concerned, which kind of worked to a degree, but it sort of backfired as well, because the press at the time was nothing like the way it had been during the first wave of punk. Killing Joke didn't do anything to help themselves with the press. Luckily, JOHN PEEL liked them a lot. He thought they were THE STRANGLERS! Demo-ing for John Peel -- He didn't believe they were a new band. He thought they were too proficient. He thought they were The Stranglers pulling a fast one."

The interview elaborates upon my own interview with Frank from a years back at CVLT Nation. Anyway, link below. Enjoy!

https://www.ratpatrolfromfortbragg.com/frank-jenkinson

-0liver