[kj] Killing Joke’s Jaz Coleman: I could have saved Heath Ledger (Louder)

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 15:23:39 EDT 2019

https://www.loudersound.com/news/killing-jokes-jaz-coleman-i-could-have-saved-heath-ledger

*Killing Joke’s Jaz Coleman: I could have saved Heath Ledger*By Scott Munro

Jaz Coleman also says the late Heath Ledger based his Joker character in
The Dark Knight on the singer’s persona from a 2006 Killing joke video

[image: Jaz.jpg]
Jaz Coleman in a still from the Hosannas From The Basement Of Hell video

Killing Joke frontman Jaz Coleman says he could have saved the late Heath
Ledger if he had known him.

Ledger died in 2008, with a toxicology report finding that the Australian
actor died from an accidental overdose.

And in a new interview with the Life In The Stocks
<https://play.acast.com/s/lifeinthestocks/ebace81b-5e10-4c95-92ea-74309fdd5f0b>
podcast, Coleman says Ledger based his Joker character in 2008 Batman
flick *The
Dark Knight* on Jaz in the music video for Killing Joke's *Hosannas From
The Basement Of Hell*.

Coleman says: “Petr Zelenka, who was the director of 2002 film *Year Of The
Devil*, directed the video for *Hosannas From The Basement Of Hell*.

“I was drunk and overweight and fucking nasty – and stills from that video
were used by Heath Ledger, who studied me for that part as the Joker in *The
Dark Knight* over and over again.

“He had pictures and stills of me everywhere. I was overweight and fucking
drunk and smashing things up and fucking going mental. He used that from
Hosannas and other stuff he’d heard about me as the model for that
character. That is true."

Explaining the face-paint he used in the video and what he wears on stage,
Jaz adds: "It's because I have some experience with occult forces. It’ll
send you crazy, this energy.

"I use the mask as protection. Even when I don’t use it, I use it just a
little bit sometimes because I know that it will send you mad – this energy
of the harlequin madman or fool. The eleventh path on the tree of life this
energy – I know exactly what it is. And I know exactly what it does.

“I’ve had a 40-year experience with it. I could’ve saved Heath Ledger if
I’d known him. You have to do certain things when you work with these
energies. Energies are very real."

<https://www.facebook.com/killingjokeofficial/app/123966167614127/>Killing
Joke are currently on tour across North America
<https://www.facebook.com/killingjokeofficial/app/123966167614127/>, with
dates planned through until the end of November.

Podcast MP3 here for download
<https://www60.zippyshare.com/v/1ggB1zxA/file.html>