[kj] KJ in DC

Carlos Fandango stronkle at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 10:38:27 EST 2019

Went to see the boys last night in DC. Decided to push the boat out seeing it was the last date of the tour & all that & ended up paying over the odds for a resale ticket.

The venue was a tad bigger from last time I saw them at the Subterania in August! There weren’t too many in the place when they walked onstage.

The sound wasn’t great either with Geordie faring better than Youth & Big Paul.

Set list was the same as the last few nights (see Set List FM) highlights for me being S.O.36 & Loose Cannon. I think it’s pretty brave of them to open with Butcher & have Tomorrow’s World & S.O.3.6 in such a short set actually.

I trundled over to the merch stand & they were asking $45 for some crappy T shirts, they had a couple of CD’s on sale (Singles/Astoria + DVD), a beanie hat & you could sign up for the pre-sale of Jaz’s upcoming Symphonic KJ CD where they gave you a lanyard with a photo of him on a ID pass thing.

Unusual moments from the night was Jaz wishing everybody Happy Christmas (twice?), praising Tool on their choice of drinks (& weed) even though he’s teetotal these days & during Total Invasion there was a Total Invasion of the stage by I think the Tool crew wearing fancy dress outfits!!

Some sword fighting Knights/Cavaliers, a donkey, a bunny rabbit, a Giraffe etc?? The band looked a little bewildered when all these characters starting dancing on stage with them, after which Jaz quipped “You’ve got some funny friends Youth”.

With all this going on it wasn’t exactly the sound of the earth vomiting!

Perhaps the band need to hire Jose Mourinho as their manager?

Jose: Are you Killing Joke or their brothers?

Band: We’re Killing Joke

Jose: Well why don’t you play like them then?

It was OK & I would have been kicking myself if I had missed it.