[kj] Youth (Killing Joke) blikt terug op zijn meest bijzondere producties (Lust For Life)

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:48:18 EST 2018

http://lflmagazine.nl/interviews/youth-killing-joke-blikt-terug-op-zijn-meest-bijzondere-producties
(Google Translate)

*Youth (Killing Joke) looks back on his most special productions*
By Patrick Lamberts
Published on: November 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM

[image: Killing-Joke.jpg]

*In Lust For Life magazine 086 you will find an interview with singer /
keyboard player Jaz Coleman and bassist Youth of Killing Joke. Prior to the
recent Killing Joke concert in Melkweg, Amsterdam, the youth was sitting in
the chair so that we could also ask him about some of his most famous
productions and collaborations and his current vision. That resulted in
news and new insights.*

Youth, born as Martin Glover, is not only a bassist of Killing Joke but
also a renowned producer. He is in possession of two recording studios: one
in Jamaica and one in Andalusia. During his impressive career, Youth has
been involved in numerous record productions, including Take That, Tom
Jones, Kate Bush, The Verve, Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries) and
Embrace. He also did a lot of (re) mix work for various acts like David
Gilmour, Guns N 'Roses, U2 and Depeche Mode. At this 'namedropping' party
we can not forget Paul McCartney of The Beatles, with whom Youth together
forms the band The Fireman. Under that name three studio albums have been
published by the duo. Lust For Life presented a number of productions and
cooperation to Youth in the limited time available, to find out how they
liked it.

*The Verve - Urban Hymns (1997, with the hit Bitter Sweet Symphony)*

"I was not allowed to finish the album, but I got what I wanted. When we
started, the band and management wanted only two or three songs to be
produced by me. I managed to make eight songs out of that, although I had
to compromise with the management. At one point, singer Richard [Ashcroft,
ed.] Threatened to throw away the entire album and start over with jams, if
it did not go according to his will. That's why I got myself to work on a
co-production credit. Best bittersweet. Chris Potter later produced some
jams from the band that ended up on the record. He did well. So that
co-production is fine. It does not take away from my share. The album has
not become a classic by those jams.

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony <https://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74>

"In fact, at a certain moment, Richard banished me from the recordings.
Arranger / conductor Will Malone and I therefore worked Bitter Sweet
Symphony largely in secret, behind Richard's back. Later I read interviews
in which Richard gives in on The Rolling Stones, because they felt they
were partly entitled to the credits of the song [Mick Jagger and Keith
Richards are legally in the right, ed.]. But Richard was not even in the
studio when Will and I worked it out within fifteen minutes! Our
arrangement was not even the problem of the hassle around the credits. It
is mainly Richards vocal melody that is too similar to that in the Rolling
Stones song The Last Time. Half of our royalties have been lost. "

*The Fireman (with Paul McCartney)*

"Paul McCartney asked me to re-mix some of his existing songs. In addition,
we started working on new material. That was very frightening, of course,
given Paul's status. But Paul soon appeared very easy to deal with. At one
point he even decided to release the material as a band with me, under the
name The Fireman. Everything we have done under that umbrella is ours
together. Because I knew that it did not have to be solo material for Paul
McCartney, I was able to work more avant-garde and that awareness helped me
to thaw. "

"Do I dare to enter into a discussion with Paul? As George Martin has
already said: working with an artist of such caliber is largely about tact
and diplomacy. I therefore try to apply that method as much as possible to
Paul. But on the other hand, the challenge must be to make a vital album.
That requires some tactics, and I can tell you that it is no easy task,
also because the pressure on the artist in question is very large. It is
therefore to everyone's advantage if there is a relaxed atmosphere in which
everyone can work with pleasure. And that is with us. "

The Fireman 'Sing The Changes' <https://youtu.be/0wQmHhlZlfg>

*Duran Duran - Reportage (an unfinished album project that eventually led
to the 2007 album Red Carpet Massacre under the guidance of several other
producers, including Timbaland and Justin Timberlake)*

"Oh yeah! It's a shame that it went that way, because I was pretty
enthusiastic about it. We spoke several times and I attended a practice
session. The band played with the original line-up, until guitarist Andy
Taylor suddenly left. Singer Simon (Le Bon) asked me if I knew another
guitarist, because they wanted to continue with me. I tried to make up for
it with Andy, because I wanted to have the original band together. But the
rest did not matter that much. Andy, in his turn, objected to the
collaboration with Timbaland, the most successful producer of that moment.
The final album that was rolled out was disappointing on both a creative
and commercial level. "

*Dolores O'Riordan - Are You Listening? (2007, solo debut of the deceased
The Cranberries singer)*

"Is not it tragic? We have had great success with her solo album and I have
also worked with her on the DARK album (Science Agrees from 2016, ed.). She
would come to my studio the day after her death to make new recordings. She
first flew to London for another recording session. She died there. I was
making flowers for the studio when I heard from my manager that she had
died. I had exchanged messages with her the day before. She said she felt
fine. Those were very strange days. Especially because I worked on the
album later that week with an empty chair next to me. Surreal! The album is
now finished. She was also halfway with a new album from The Cranberries,
but I was not involved. It is good that nowadays there is a little more
attention for mental health problems that play a major role for many
artists. Dolores has suffered from it over the years: drug problems and
suicide attempts. Very sad."

Dolores O'Riordan - Ordinary Day (Official Video)
<https://youtu.be/Lxc3O4mQV74>

*Pink Floyd - The Endless River (2014, the last album under the title Pink
Floyd) and David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (2015, Pink Floyd guitarist
David Gilmour's latest solo album)*

"I did production work for The Endless River and additional production and
mixing work for Rattle That Lock. David Gilmour is much freer when making a
solo album than when making a Pink Floyd album, just as Paul McCartney is
more solo than he was when making a Beatles album. David's mission to me
was: let the album sound like us - referring to our previous collaboration
for the album Metallic Spheres by The Orb (2010, ed.). But that album
involved a very different production team. I only did what I wanted to
hear. "

"Nigel Godrich, best known for Radiohead's album productions, is a good
friend of mine. He has produced the latest solo album by Roger Waters. That
is, in my opinion, the best solo album by Roger, but his oeuvre can not be
compared to the level of Pink Floyd in all my honesty. Incidentally, I
really believe that David and Roger can heal the old wounds. I can still
see it happening. How cool would that be ?! And of course I am happy to
take on the heavy production task, haha! "

(Google Translate)