[kj] Roundhouse

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 04:03:44 EST 2018

That was monstrous.
Reading everyone's comments throughout the tour, I had high expectations.  They were met.
Unspeakable is a great track anyway - but what a fantastic opener.  The eerie keyboards, the hard-edged guitar, the lyrics steeped in the mystery of the early Joke - but underpinning it all, the driving dance-funk of Big Paul and Youth.  As they launched into it, I was watching Youth, and the rhythm seemed to flow into him, through him, out of him...
Following that with European Super State was a great choice - another dance number, but from the other end of the Joke catalogue.
Other highlights were FTL (another hard-edged dance number), the brutal and bleak Butcher (possibly the song that for me encapsulates Killing Joke), and Loose Cannon.  I don't think I've seen them play LC before, and it really worked - a terrace chant like so many Joke tracks from years gone by.  And Pssyche of course.
In the encore, SO36 was full of its customary menace, and Pandemonium was a rousing, stomping finale.  Lovely to watch Big Paul and Jaz sharing a hug at the end, with Youth like a pixie taking photos.
Afterwards, who I should bump into but - in order of appearance - Andreas Misera (long time!), followed by Antoni, Brian, and Mik.  Great to see y'all.
Till next time.
Jamie