[kj] KILLING JOKE @ O2 INSTITUTE, BIRMINGHAM 9/11/2018 (Maximum Volume Music)

Paul dubecho at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:08:04 EST 2018

http://www.maximumvolumemusic.com/killing-joke-o2-institute-birmingham-9-11-2018/

*KILLING JOKE @ O2 INSTITUTE, BIRMINGHAM 9/11/2018*
BY DAMIAN SULLIVAN - NOVEMBER 12, 2018

[image: KJ.jpg]

Tonight, Killing Joke`s `Laugh At Your Peril 40th Anniversary World Tour`
reaches Birmingham and it`s a packed and edgy audience that awaits their
arrival. It`s hard to believe that this post punk, new wave cum industrial
rock band were formed in 1978 and harder to believe that I first saw them
in 1981. The stage darkens and the original members Jaz Coleman, Kevin
“Geordie Walker”, Youth (Martin Glover) and Paul Ferguson hit the stage and
open with the wonderfully hypnotic `Unspeakable` as a mosh circle forms and
the faithful go crazy. Three out of the next four tracks are from two of
the three albums that the fellas have released since reforming in 2008,
after the sad passing of former bass player Paul Raven with `European Super
State` a real favourite of mine, `Autonomous Zone` and ` New Cold War` The
albums “Absolute Dissent”, “MMXII” and “Pylon” proving that the band still
produce thought provoking lyrics with a hell of a noise, to challenge their
earlier works of art. There is something for everybody this evening with a
trip back in time with `Eighties`, `Requiem`, `Bloodsport`, `Butcher` and
`Follow The Leaders` as Jaz prowls and stalks the stage menacingly. Killing
Joke have always been a political band but Jaz seems to be on a mission
tonight with a far few quips before introducing songs and indeed Dick
Chaney gets a mention as the boys offer up `Loose Cannon` I have to admit,
sadly, that my days at the front with the moshers and slammers are long
gone but from my vantage point upstairs I get to appreciate Geordie`s
wonderful guitar fret work, Youth`s slapping strumming bass lines and Big
Paul`s incredible pounding drums. A real powerhouse trio. This intense show
continues with newer numbers before the set is closed out with the
wonderfully anthemic `The Wait` and intimidating `Pssyche`

After some raucous encouragement, the boys return for an encore and Jaz
takes time to remember local Wolverhampton boy, former bassist Paul Raven
and offers up a stunning version of `Love Like Blood` We get `The Death And
Resurrection Show` before the band close out this ninety minute set with
`Wardance` and another favourite of mine `Pandemonium` with it`s cracking
chorus of “I can see tomorrow, I can see the world to come, I can see
tomorrow, Hear the pandemonium” The house lights come on and the tension
seems to dissipate as all the guys remain on stage thanking the crowd and
taking a few photos. It was a much-appreciated gesture as I’ve never seen
the band so animated before. Killing Joke gigs aren't just a gig but an
event, a coming together of like-minded people to enjoy an evening being in
the presence of a powerful, mesmerising and brooding cacophony of music
with intriguing and provoking lyrics. This anniversary tour concludes in a
weeks’ time, make sure you catch one of the remaining few shows.