[kj] Whitby Weekend

fatpotanga . fatpotanga at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 14:07:46 EDT 2018

Not sure on York but know Whitby area fairly well. Robin Hoods Bay is worth
a visit. If you're facing the Abbey, it's a couple of miles up the road to
the right. Very quaint and higgledy-piggledy - great fish and chips! We
often rent a farm house up there on the cliffs.
If the tide's out, walk up the beach and you soon come to Boggle Hole (1/4
mile maybe), nice, quirky YHA cafe there. Nothing special, but nice for
lunch. Lots of fossils to be found. But beware of any caves you spot as
cliff collapses are common.

A couple of miles the other way is Runswick Bay, which is a lovely beach.
Lots of fossils to be found. The whole area is Jurassic coastline. Last
time I waa there I saw a couple of American girls carrying a 3ft(!)
ammonite that they'd just found.

Thinking on, we've rented a house in Robin Hood's Bay for a week, can't
remember if it's October or November though and I'm up in the Lakes so
can't check. Will be in touch