[kj] PledgeMusic box set is up

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 14:44:03 EDT 2018

Ditto Love is the Law, but this is what Youth had to say about it, taken from this interview:

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4149534-dis-meets-youth-from-killing-joke

DiS: Your last three records - 2011's Absolute Dissent, MMXII the following year and now Pylon rank among your finest for me. So I'd wholeheartedly agree that Killing Joke are as if not more relevant now than they've ever been. Particularly when put alongside many other bands who've reunited purely in the name of nostalgia, which is something you've never done.
Youth: It's interesting because a lot of bands of a similar age to us - they're not up for making new records. Most of them haven't made a record for at least twenty years, and the further up that mountain you get, the colder the wind blows. So they end up deliberately avoiding it because they don't know how they got there in the beginning. Or things have changed so much they don't have the urgency or passion to do it again. Whereas luckily for us we've never really stopped. The band have made three albums in the last five years and I'm making records all the time with other artists. It's brought the whole band up to steam a bit. Absolute Dissent was more of a regrouping and a little self referential. MMXII was a bit more focused but we also experimented a lot on that. With this one we just decided let's go really heavy and that's how it came out. We also spent a lot of time writing this one. Two or three two-week heavily focused sessions in Prague, which ended up garnering thirty or forty really strong ideas. So eventually we worked them down to sixteen songs and then we finished up with the ten that made it onto the album.
DiS: Of the six that didn't make Pylon, do you see yourselves revisiting them in the future?
Youth: Well, originally when we were making MMXII we had this track called 'In Cythera' which our guitarist Geordie really hated. But eventually it became the lead single off the record and I actually think it's the greatest single we've ever done. With this album we had a similar track called 'Love Is The Law' which again Geordie doesn't like because there's very little guitars on it, and I think it's possibly the second greatest single we've ever made. So we decided as a group - reluctantly on my part - to leave it off the album although Geordie has said he would consider revisiting it with extra guitars on. So maybe we'll put it out next summer? We're certainly not short of material. We're all writing a lot. There wasn't a dull moment during the writing sessions. We had lots of ideas. It was just a matter of getting them all down.