[kj] Killing Joke in the Age of Trump

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 04:08:17 EST 2017

I see three possible scenarios, and my sense of which one is most likely varies from day to day.

My most optimistic one is roughly in line with Rob's: politics was a mess; it was very difficult to make good stuff happen; bad stuff tended to persist.  Trump is unlikely to fix anything, but he'll probably mix things up, and maybe out of that chaos, some good will (eventually) come.  Optimistic? Yes.  Unlikely?  Even more so.

Less optimistically: Trump will blunder around and piss off the rest of the world (except for Putin, Le Pen, ISIS, etc), and make life harder for a lot of folks in the US, but won't actually make that much long-term difference.  Someone else will be in office in 4 years' time, and we'll be back to business as usual.  I'm not a massive fan of the status quo (and the intervening 4 years of this scenario wouldn't be fun) but it sure beats the next scenario.

Really pessimistically.  Trump blunders around domestically and globally, wrecking the fragile and imperfect things that nonetheless hold humanity from the brink of disaster.  Armed conflict with China?  Possible.  Bombing the Middle-East and then leaving Putin to dictate the outcome?  Possible.  Leaving NATO, watching the far-right become more dominant in Europe, and, er, leaving Putin to dictate the outcome?  Possible.  Building the wall, screwing central America, and letting them descend into narco-chaos?  Possible.  All of these things will be bad for America long-term (and the rest of us), but might play well to his core audience in the short-term.  America First!

Jamie