[kj] Live KJ cover from 1987: I was there...

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Mon Mar 21 10:55:00 EDT 2016

Killing Joke-related but with a backstory, so bear with me. This has to be one of the oldest live KJ covers available, unless someone in the UK wants to prove me wrong. [&#X1f609]

I went to college in Moorhead, Minnesota (just across the river from Fargo, North Dakota - THAT Fargo). In 1987 a pre-fame Soul Asylum (remember them?) played Kirby's, my local college bar, along with fellow Minneapolis band Gear Daddies and a Moorhead group named Model Citizen. The entire show was videotaped and has been available on YouTube for years but I never bothered to listen to the Model Citizen portion until tonight and fuck me if they didn't play "A New Day" among all their other punk and new wave covers. I was at the show (standing house right just out of camera) and wouldn't have recognized it as a KJ tune at the time because I had never heard it. It was never released on an album and the import singles were hard to come by out in the sticks.

Anyway, 29 years later, here you go:

(Start at 02:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdnSgdK4nyE

[https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SdnSgdK4nyE/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdnSgdK4nyE>

Model Citizen - Live at Kirby's - April 25, 1987 Full Show ...<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdnSgdK4nyE>
www.youtube.com
Model Citizen's full set opening for Soul Asylum at Kirby's Bar in Moorhead, MN on April 25th, 1987. This is from the original camcorder tape.