[kj] OT. Bowie Dead

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Mon Jan 11 13:51:42 EST 2016

This one's really a gut punch, even more so than Lemmy's passing a week ago.

Bowie was one of the first artists I got into in the mid 70's, his voice was
immediately distinctive no matter what new genre he was mining.  I wore out
the vinyl and 8 track of "ChangesOneBowie" (which is still one of the
greatest "Best Of's" anyone has ever put out) in just a few year's time.
The coolest thing was even though near the end of the 70's he was moving
into increasingly off kilter musical styles, he was still compelling.  I saw
Bowie three times live, US Festival and Anaheim Stadium Serious Moonlight
tour shows in '83 and his last tour for the Reality album in '04 at the
relatively intimate Wiltern Theater.  For whatever reasons, I couldn't and
still can't get into his previous couple albums "Reality" and "The Next Day"
but picked up "Black Star" on CD last Friday and was blown away.  What an
amazing final act.

Another thing, it appears just announced over the weekend tribute concert
dedicated to the Bowie's musical legacy with Bowie's longtime collaborator
Tony Visconti in charge of the house band at New York's Carnegie Hall on
March 31st will now be a memorial concert.  Announced performers The Roots,
Cyndi Lauper, the Mountain Goats, Heart's Ann Wilson, Jakob Dylan and Perry
Farrel will also perform. Undoubtedly more high(er) profile performers will
be added and the scale and scope will increase dramatically.

T.B.