[kj] Anniversaries - Brighter 86 / Democracy 96 / Hosannas 06

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 17:37:25 EDT 2016

I do remember Raven saying on list that in his opinion, the band were at their peak with the BTATS gigs... "And that's when things started to get really boring."

I like a few tracks from BTATS (especially Chessboards), but the force and impact isn't there. Night time has a crystal clear production that still allows the bite and the edge to come through, but it wasn't there on BTATS.

Democracy simply sounds flat. The lack of a solid drummer, Youth's bizarre production decisions (possibly a personal attempt to keep his interest?) and his subsequent absence suggest that the newfound impetus of Pandemonium had disappeared. A very disappointing purchase.

Hosannas has a good, aggressive sound that I felt improved on Andy Gill's sludgy production on the previous album. However, the songs just weren't there. The good ones were too long and the bad ones dragged on interminably. Again, the subsequent chaos suggested that the impetus of KJ2003 (and their new found iconic status) had completely dissolved. Raven's death was a tragedy, but it did shake up the remaining members and renew their commitment, resulting in a period of consistent quality that is all but unequalled in the band's history.

Jim.