[kj] Birmingham Institute gig

Nick Scott npscott at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 31 19:24:50 EDT 2015

Well its odd being back from a gig at 10:40 pm, saying that though the band did
blindingly well considering the 10pm curfew.  Came on at 8:15 prompt and went
off stage at 9:55 playing 20 tracks, thankfully (never liked it) missing a verse
from Asteroid to cut it a bit short.

Sound was not too great, first few songs Geordie's guitar was mixed low and he
looked pissed off for most the gig...crowd for the most part were in good
spirits though, although static looking up to the balcony, wouldn't have liked
to have been up in it to be honest.

We were spared any Jaz rants apart from the surprise of the night, don't know if
it was played in Oxford or whether it was this tours debut but he said 'This
one's for Edward Snowden' and launched into a blinding 'Panopticon' one of my
faves from Pylon for sure, treat to these ears.

Highlights for me, 'Beautiful Dead', 'Panopticon,  a very tense 'Exorcism'' the
although heard a million times before 'Eighties' and 'Love Like Blood' added
nice lighthearted touches to the evenings gig and a fantastic 'Psyche', and
always nice to hear 'Turn To Red' although surprisingly not a lot of movement
down the front and I am convinced there seemed to be a number that didn't have
recognition of it.

I really like 'Dawn Of The Hive' off the new album but the acoustics of the
venue meant it as well as a number of other tracks sounded fairly poor, and I
was not the only one to comment.

One bonus, Big Paul came out after the gig to the barrier shook a few hands and
I managed to get the new CD booklet signed...would have hung around after the
gig to see if I could get it signed by other band members but the side gate was
locked with security where the tour bus was.

Good length gig, band (besides a functional but pissed off looking Geordie)
seemed in good spirits albeit a little rushed on the job in hand, just I said
slightly dampened by the acoustics.

They seem to be honing the setlist nicely, I feel those in Manchester Ritz
tomorrow as well as London Roundhouse with support from Jah Wobble are going to
be in for special nights indeed.

Tonights set :

The Wait
Autonomous Zone