[kj] Pylon

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 26 14:18:20 EDT 2015

Just to weigh in the mastering dispute. Obviously it's all very subjective, so I'm not offering grand pronouncements or saying anyone's a dribbling idiot. Put the knives away, please!

I was actually impressed by how much clearer the sound was on Pylon, particularly with the vocals (for reference, I'm basing my assessment on the iTunes version, and listening to it almost exclusively on my iPod through a mid-priced pair of headphones that aren't the best on the market but are substantially better than the tinny £2-a-pair monstrosities). As far as compared to previous KJ albums, I thought it was sharper than the last four. Not as muddy or as thudding as KJ2003 or Hosannas, and a little sharper than the AD tracks I sampled a few days ago. I was actually glad they didn't mute it so heavily in pursuit of 'heaviness'. Jaz's vocals sound better than they have in a while too, and pretty clear.

Obviously most of that can be put down to different versions, different equipment and the much-welcomed reduction in cookie monster vocals. I hope there haven't been some problems in mastering or printing of some versions that are reducing some people's enjoyment of this album.

Jim.