[kj] Pylon

Nick Scott npscott at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 11 18:15:35 EDT 2015

I posted 3-4 days ago about how Paul Ferguson's drumming on the album is
amazing, a powerhouse for sure.   I personally did not feel back then like it
was my place to leak the album to The Gathering by uploading to some cloud
server, however it was easily found on the likes of Soulseek and would have soon
spread anyway.  I am sure the majority of gatherers will be buying it.  Heck I
never settle for MP3, FLAC or CD for me.

So, after living with the album a few days...my own thoughts......

New Jerusalem is plain incredible, Paul's drumming is something else and I
really hope it becomes a live staple in the set...it is up there with the likes
of 'Unspeakable', that along with 'Big Buzz' with Geordie's guitar ebbing and
flowing throughout is about as pure pop rock class as KJ get without being
cliché.   Opening song 'Autonomous Zone' which the majority of us have heard
from live feeds will I am sure have the ardent critics grinning about how much
better it sounds when you hear it properly polished with the production, with
the opening electronic tinged echo chamber singing drowned out with Geordie's
guitar stabs...best album opening for me since KJ 2003.

In fact the majority of the album is so damned good, with to my ears the weak
points being 'War On Freedom'  Geordie's guitar is pretty good but its a little
ploddish KJ by numbers and 'Delete'.

Even with this leak there is the excitement of the second disc to look forward
to with the deluxe release, hoping for one or two surprises amongst them.

In my opinion this is the strongest album since the reformation of the original
lineup with Big Paul elevating himself from pedestrian drumming to the machine
we all know and love.  Production I think is also polished, with Jaz's vocal
kept in toe, one of I guess the few benefits of auto tune, although with it all
being said I do have my reservations about some tracks may sound ropey in a live
environment, the rousting choruses of the more pop oriented KJ songs of recent
years such as the lament 'The Raven King' and 'In Cythera' had Jaz sounding
particularly rough.

For a reformed band 3 albums in and in their 36th year of revelry it's nothing
short of exemplary.