[kj] Youth Hates Hosannas

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Thu Nov 19 12:11:23 EST 2015

Nick Scott wrote:

That was Kneill Brown on bass guitar, and I believe still had Benny Calvert on drums  Have seen KJ on every tour since (apart from Democracy when they did not play any UK dates) and Hossanas tour was a real low point, Jaz's vocal was shot...drinking and smoking had really taken hold...would have to agree the sad death of Raven most certainly was not just a health wake up call, but also the catalyst to the reformation and re-evaluation.
I am personally stoked with how things have gone since 2008, and obviously not everyone agrees ( and I wouldn't expect anything other than that on here when it comes to Killing Joke, part of their beauty is differing opinions on songs and albums) but for me Pylon is a joyous release only slightly marred as far as I am concerned with the sound quality on the UK tour...hope they get things sorted for the US tour.
Interesting support band from what I have heard as well The Soft Moon, their post-punk/dark wave should fit in nicely I feel at gigs.

I agree about how the band has been since the '08 reformation.  I love all three reunion studio albums even if I think Pylon is the relatively weakest of the bunch (which is like saying which Led Zep album is their weakest).  There's always some nitpicks like how wonky the Pledge projects seem to pan out or how the "pick your rare song" poll seems to have been ignored but in the big scheme of things, the band is still riding a quality and creative high that virtually any other band still together approaching their fourth decade can't even come close to approaching.

T.B.