[kj] BFI - Film

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 06:17:28 EST 2015

Well, I just saw the film last night (February 26 - as it transpired 10
minutes into the film,
the 36th anniversary of the band's formation, synchronicity fans).

As an extremely minor player in this whole saga, I have to say I am
honoured and not a little freaked out
to see my ugly mug popping up all through the film. I had NO IDEA this was
going to happen.

Shaun contacted my in 2011 to ask if he could pay a visit and do an
interview. He was filming
in Iceland, so Oslo was a relatively short hop. I thought it was going to
be a bloke with a handycam
but when I met him at the train station, I've never seen one guy carry so
much luggage and equipment.
He stayed at mine for a night and after he'd spent a while setting up in
the living room - lights, various cameras -
I realised this was a serious endeavour and began to get a little
nervous... I was not comfortable in front of the
camera and ended up downing quite a few whiskies during the whole process.

He asked a lot of questions, and afterwards we went to the pub and had a
good old KJ-related
chat. He was mostly happy to be out of Iceland - he said it was quite
stressful filming up there,
and while there were a few people happy to talk, there were also a few who
still hate Jaz
with a passion to this day. He was alarmed that they still carried such
strong feelings about someone
they hadn't seen for almost 30 years! I was impressed with his dedication -
as he related various
Jaz tales from the previous 7 years, it was obvious how this was a labour
of love (and hate) for him.

I put Shaun in touch with Mat Smith (the former Melody Maker journalist in
the film) as Shaun was saying he
really needed more from someone else who was involved in the music press at
the time. Mat was really
the only other music journo at the time who both knew the band relatively
well and was a genuine fan.
(Mat and I knew each other from college days and had gone to quite a few KJ
gigs together.)

Shaun said he would probably use some of my quotes - I got the impression
that he chiefly wanted
the liver and maggots story from me and Mat, and I was happy that the true
version of what happened
was going to be recorded for posterity. The other story that he was
interested to hear was
that I had been at the Hammersmith Palais gig in 82, when the TV camera in
the crowd collapsed,
 the day Jaz legged it to Iceland.
But I didn't think I would be appearing at any other time.
So... bloody hell.

Overall I enjoyed it - I thought there could be more clarity about the
women being struck by
lightning story, and the interview with the bloke dancing about in front of
the pyramids with his sword
didn't really add anything. A bit more Geordie would have been good, BPF
and Youth were great,
just a shame he never got to interview Raven.

And by the way, at the end, when we were talking about "the fifth member",
when I used the phrase "the force" it was
not meant to sound like a snarky Star Wars piss take. Although it possibly
did.