[kj] Killing Joke is not an Industrial band

B. Oliver Sheppard b.oliver.sheppard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 11:14:23 EDT 2015

I agree with Alex. I don't think of Killing Joke as being in the vein of
SPK, Throbbing Gristle, and Test Dept, but more of the late 70s and early
80s postpunk milieu of PiL et al, and yeah there's overlap, but except for
"Butcher" and the samples on S036 to me it's really a stretch to call them
an industrial group.

I can imagine NiN covering "Butcher." And I guess the Pandemonium LP is a
90s industrial rock album. It's neat that from the late 80s until tday
industrial artists have cited them, but I don't see them as industrial,
properly speaking, either.

-0liver