[kj] So This Is Permanence

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 15:22:33 EDT 2014

Since Joy Division was and is a favorite band of Killing Joke, I think it's entirely okay to post this here.
And thanks, it seems very intriguing.

Blessed are the Cracked for
  they let in the Light,
    others all are just a..
      'nother brick in the Wall

 Subject: [kj] So This Is Permanence
 To: "gathering at misera.net" <gathering at misera.net>
 Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 4:30 AM

 To all
 you Joy Division fans, thought you might be interested in a
 new book coming out Thursday. Deborah Curtis has released a
 book with all Ians original lyrics and notes. I know this
 site is dedicated to our beloved Killing Joke, but Joy
 Division is my 2nd fave band and how I would've loved to
 be at the concert that had both of them playing.
 CheersTracey
 Sent from my iPadBOOKS NEWSIan Curtis’ widow talks about his
 lyrics—”He probably could have written a terrific
 book.”By post-punk |
 October 13, 20141
  Comments3Deborah Curtis, widow to Joy
 Division’s Ian Curtis, has compiled a book of his
 original handwritten lyrics along with journalist Jon
 Savage. Deborah spoke to Jenny
 Stevens of The Guardian regarding the new book,
 called “So
 This is Permanence: Joy Division Lyrics and
 Notebooks“, the title taken
 from the haunting  Joy Division song “24
 Hours”Handwritten Lyrics to Love Will Tear Us
 ApartDeborah explains that Ian was more of a 60’s
 style poet more akin to Ballard,
 and Burroughs than
 his hero Bowie,
 and it was the writing that was more important to him than
 performing:“We grew up watching pop programmes
 on television. That was part of the era – the
 rock-star aspect. At the time, poetry was considered
 old-fashioned. It seemed like a logical progression
 to put it to music. I don’t think the fame and life
 on the road suited him very well. I think he would have
 continued to write even if he didn’t want to perform. When
 he got to 40 or 50, he probably could have written a
 terrific book.”I think we can all agree that if Ian Curtis had
 written a novel, it would have most likely been a
 masterpiece.  However, having his lyrics compiled into
 a book of poetry is fantastic, Deborah goes on to
 explain:“Having the whole thing together as a body of
 work, the music and now the lyrics, is wonderful,” she
 says. “I wish he was here. He’d be so
 proud.”Read the entire Interview at The Guardian
 here*So This Is Permanence is published on Thursday by
 Faber.
 Order
 HereSubscribe to Post-Punk.com Never miss
 an article by subscribing free to Post-Punk.com and
 receive updates on the latest news, interviews, releases, and more!
 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----