[kj] In Dub

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 05:49:46 EST 2014

As expected, there's a lot of filler - but also enough for one great album.
I guess it depends
on whether the thought of dub reggae versions of KJ songs horrifies you or
not. Barely a day goes
by when I don't listen to reggae or ska so personally I'm all for it, but I
can understand resistance
to the idea. Anyway what exactly makes a 'dub' is a loose concept, and no
surprise, there's a lot
of Orb-style ambient noodling here that grows a bit tedious after a while.

Still, the biggest surprise for me was The Raven King - not a song I listen
to much in its original form - but
this version is beautiful and bass heavy in equal measure, and bought a
lump to my throat. Sure, Youth's
dubs ain't subtle - he prefers to throw everything and the kitchen sink
into the mix, and sometimes
you wish he'd just let the bass and drums speak - but there are some great
driving pounding dubs here.
Labyrinth, Love Like Blood (another surprise, never thought that would
work) and Corporate Elect are
all excellent. Of the non-reggae dubs, I think the
dubstep/grime/garage/whatever the young people are calling it nowadays
version of Money Is Not Our God (Babylon Dub) is the most effective - bass
bass and more bass.

Biggest complaint is that the early stuff is missing - was really hoping
for those Turn to Red/Nervous System/Madness
dubs, a real shame they have been overlooked and instead we get 3 versions
of ESS (although I really like
the Lizard dub), 2 versions of This World Hell and 2 versions of In
Cythera, which don't do much for me. But Tomorrow's World is immense.

Still working my way through it, but generally an impressive effort