[kj] (Partially OT) Zilch

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 15:52:19 EST 2014

The 3.2.1. album was excellent, contained some of Hide's best material. The English-language versions of 'What's Up Mister Jones', 'Doubt' and 'Pose' are as good as the Japanese ones. The band spent 2 years trying to interest US labels in releasing the album, but most complained that Hide's vocals sounded too foreign (despite the lyrics being in English). By the time the album finally emerged, Hide had recorded new versions in Japanese. 'What's Up Mister Jones', was a track from Hide's other band, speed/prog-metal icons X Japan.

The problems came when Ray McVeigh (The Professionals) decided that he wanted to keep Zilch going after Hide's death. Raven said no, because Zilch were Hide's band and it wasn't right to contain without him and accused McVeigh of trying to squeeze more money from his musical legacy. That happened a lot; Hide's label began releasing anything he'd ever played on, including a succession of naff singles and several atrocious live albums, all lapped by Hide's legion of fans.

After Raven split, McVeigh's new line-up released a new Zilch album, called 'Skyjin'. It's bollocks. Instead of Jaz and Geordie on 3.2.1., we have Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy, as well as anyone else McVeigh could pay to be on the album. Needless to say, Japanese fans weren't interested in an album that didn't feature Hide.

Even today Zilch are referred to as an 'American band', even though the leader of the band was Japanese and Raven and McVeigh were both English. Only the drummer was actually American.

I'll stop waffling now! ;)

Jim.