[kj] NME's latest monstrosity - Top 100 influential artists

Paul Rangecroft paul.rangecroft at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:56:11 EDT 2014

Those NME lists seem designed to wind people like us up! I've read a
few of them recently, as I follow NME on Twitter (for the occasional
useful bit of information) - top drummers, guitarists, riffs etc. and
they rarely if ever leave me feeling anything other than angry and
with a weary sense of despair. I think they're designed to confirm the
prejudices of their perceived readership rather than shed any light on
a subject. Plus "listicles" are all the rage now so they're happy with
any old bollocks as long as it creates views for the ads.

The Quietus is a much better read. Try Stewart Lee's interview with
Julian Cope as a unicorn chaser if you haven't seen it already:
http://thequietus.com/articles/15594-julian-cope-stewart-lee-interview
.

Louder Than War is also great.