[kj] My thoughts on Letters From Cythera - A Raven anecdote

Rob Moss rob.moss at gmx.com
Mon Apr 7 10:30:06 EDT 2014

This bit is worth sharing about Raven

I recollect one of the more unknown talents of the Night Raven – I am speaking of his peculiar gift of being able to throw his voice in the manner of a skilled ventriloquist. The first time I became aware of his obscure talent

was loitering with the Night Raven on the platform of Camden underground station after a rehearsal back in late May 1982 prior to the American tour. There were about 30 or so people within the close proximity of each other, standing silently, waiting for the tube. A young woman near to us appeared to be looking for something in her bag. While in the process of rummaging through her bag, the woman accidentally dropped her keys onto the platform, which drew the attention of a few bored onlookers. The woman bent over to pick the keys up and, as she grabbed the keys, her posterior seemed momentarily suspended in a most ungracious position. Just at that moment, a squeal of a fart echoed loudly throughout the cavernous station. The woman suddenly stood bolt upright, which in itself appeared as though it were a symptom of guilt, further exaggerated by a somewhat beetroot complexion. The Night Raven and myself, along with several other individuals on the platform, could not constrain our mirth. As I stood on the platform some 26 years later, my world felt emptier than ever without the Night Bird’s perpetual jesting. I know I speak for everyone (with the exception of a few tour managers!) when I say we all truly miss him. Yet he wants us all to know that under the right circumstances, he will return with just the love of a few people, warm memories, the appropriate tipple, the right location and of course an array of strategically placed shiny objects (a couple of silver coins and a stolen fork will do).