[kj] OT: Tribalism & Democracy & The Joke

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri Feb 8 23:17:18 EST 2013

Jaz & the Joke are long-time fans of a tribal ethic.yet lately I've heard
more and more from the Joke camp - Jaz in particular -lauding the democratic
ideal. I could cite references, but with you guys it would be labouring the
point. look at everything from song lyrics to recent interviews.

Question: Are tribalism and democracy not mutually exclusive?

Isn't tribalism inherited membership of a group of genetic kin, the senior
(males generally) of which are in control by dint of age and genetics..and
democracy (in theory) is about proportional representation based on the
wishes of the people.it's supposed to cut across race / gender and other
boundaries.

Keen to hear your POV - especially as this seems to be a relatively
trollfree season on the gathering atm (unless I just jinxed it =)

I wonder if Jaz pontificates about this in his book?