[kj] OT--vinyl care

Nick Scott npscott at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 02:41:35 EDT 2012

Depends on what level compression you apply to the files. Unlike MP3 which
strips and compresses the music by using algorithms to remove frequencies
FLAC maintains the information and puts it into a "container" file....think
of it like a ZIP or RAR file etc. You can ZIP or RAR a high resolution
photo and not lose any information upon decompression. I gather playback
of FLAC must be decompressed on the fly.

The higher compression you use when converting then the longer it takes,
but at a rough estimate I would say a 75-80 minute CD would weigh in around
500mb instead of 750-800mb