[kj] Phone interview I did with Jaz Coleman on Wednedsay

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 11 21:39:56 EST 2012

I think Jaz lands the majority of the press, as he has the most to say
(solicited or otherwise), the ego for it and the others probably don't
care.

That said, I've had the honor/pleasure of interviewing the band a
number of times, and it hasn't ALWAYS been Jaz.

Circa EXTREMITIES, I had the pleasure of doing a phone interview (for
a failed West Coast music rag called EXIT) with Martin Atkins.
Sometime shortly after that, Martin Atkins called me back at home (and
ended up talking to my mom), because he didn't want the piece to run
in that magazine (he'd mistakenly thought it was the East Coast
periodical EXIT, which was much more transgressive and cool). I talked
him down.

Second time I interviewed Killing Joke was circa PANDEMONIUM, and that
featured a chat with Geordie, Youth and Jaz (separately) at a long-
since-defunct bar in the East Village called the No-Tell Motel.
Geordie was cool, but distracted by the vintage porn that was playing
on the tv screen above the bar. I also think he messed with my tape
recorder when I wasn't looking, as I later had no audio record of our
chat. Youth was mellow and ate thai food and was probably high at the
time. Jaz came last, and he was bug-eyed and intimidating, but gracious.

Interviewed them again circa DEMOCRACY and got only Youth. I used the
text from that interview to act as liner notes for a compilation of
Gathering bands some years back.

And then I interviewed Big Paul, but that was through the auspices of
Raven.

Alex in NYC

>>> http://www.cvltnation.com/a-cvlt-nation-exclusive-interview-with-jaz-coleman-of-killing-joke/