[kj] Martin Atkins selling off KJ, Ministry et. al. merch to finance new book:

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Tue May 8 09:57:14 EDT 2012

FYI:

Get the fuck out of bed!

FUCK

As a reaction to some criticism of the 166 'fucks' in Tour:Smart, I'm going the extra mile to make Band:Smart even better! Pledge just $1 and I will put an extra fuck in it and thank you at the end. Got $5? Then buy a 'clusterfuck' and help me break the world record for the number of fucks in a book!

Hello,

It has been quite a while since I've been in touch. So welcome to a splattering of what’s been going on over the last 12 months or so!

I recently discovered a few sheets of names not added to this list and a shoebox full of business cards exchanged at all of the events I've been doing over the last year. If you decide you don’t want to receive another one of these please just click the unsubscribe box at the bottom and you will be removed.

Band:Smart Kickstarter

I wanted to start off this newswire with letting you know about a Kickstarter campaign I'm doing for my third book Band:Smart! It’s all of the stuff leading up to Tour:Smart, including deciding to start a band and naming it, to how to record, why, what, who, when, where, all nuts and bolts of experience! It’s not just from me writing either. I have over 220 smart people (phew! thank fuck for that!) contributing to the book! I'm using Kickstarter to raise $18,000 to finish, layout, illustrate, and print the first edition.

BUT, even if you don’t care about that side of my endeavors (and I get it, some of you don’t) there are some terrific items from my musical side to entice you into contributing. Pledge levels include pieces of the Ministry cage from the 90's cage tour, Killing Joke scenery, pieces of the dot screen Maddonna backdrop from the Pigface tour, and some very cool cds too. You'll also have a chance to get me to play on your album, dj at your wedding or just sit and chat about any of the things I've done. I'd love to bring a box of my PIL memorabilia, photos, crap, cassettes and all kinds of stuff and sit with you and chat about that time in my life. Or I can do a lecture on anything you wish........ It's pretty cool I think! And it’s a chance for us to connect in a different way than usual.

I don’t want to get all Amanda Palmer and bleat on about the major labels/publishers and the struggle etc… but part of this money raised also goes towards buying back the rights to Band:Smart. That way I can continue to use all of my strategies like “free is the new black” “give to get” “do the opposite” to move forwards and create a new model for books and artistic endeavors.

Speaking of which, just by watching the 4 minute Kickstarter video you will get a free download code for my second book! See what I mean by different strategies?

And, yes, I guess that's what I'm doing now - destroying my reputation and legacy (really?) as a drummer, and cementing my new role as the guy who throws blueberry muffins and has the world record for the number of fucks in a book.

Teaching!

I've been speaking and teaching a LOT. SXSW was awesome! Not just because I was able to do my Welcome to the Music Business You're Fucked presentation, but because I was asked to interview Ian Astbury of the Cult (and Doors) too. It was a very calming chat and there will be video of that somewhere soon. New Music Seminar is coming up soon. I'll be doing a special machine-gun 18 minutes for that on Tuesday June 19th. I'm teaching and also doing loads of guest lecturing up at Madison Media Institute too including China, Punk, social media mindset and more! If you are interested in being one of my students in the Entertainment & Media Business program, or just checking out some classes for free then e-mail me directly at: matkins at mediainstitute.edu.

Check out this breaking news from the MMI campus!

NO MORE STUDENTS EATEN BY TIGERS!

Mudfest!

In other news you can come and see me DJ up in Eagle River at Mudfest (featuring PuddleOf Mudd, Fuel, and Saliva)! The real triumph of this event for me is the involvement of my students at MMI in organizing the band battles that have led up to it. That is real world stuff for real world people!

Pigface?

What about Pigface and Drumming? Well you might know that I was in a car accident in Jan 2011 that really screwed my back up. We did have a Pigface 20th anniversary show scheduled at the Metro here in Chicago that I was forced to cancel… I'm feeling a lot better now but still haven’t really sat behind the kit and thrown it down.... A few months of working out remain before I even want to really attempt it. It might already be too late to try and do something for the 21st anniversary of the band but I just wanted you to know that it hasn't slipped my mind. Pigface is hugely important to me and I'm looking at doing something! Stay tuned for that. Maybe I'll join a cover band or something to get my chops back up to speed. If you see me behind the kit at some bizarre 80's covers night.....actually, scratch that, I don’t think that's going to happen.

peace, love and very much respect to you and, sadly, r.i.p. MCA - happy to share initials with you.

Martin Clive Atkins

Chicago Illannoys