[kj] New Van Halen Album

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:51:00 EDT 2012

I know what you mean. I didn't bother with the later, live version of
The Wall that Roger Waters did or any of the live retrospectives that
David Gilmour's version of the band did. Maybe I'll try a cheap, used
copy. The Wall box is unnecessarily expensive. It has the band's live
album version, and unreleased demos. They put out boxes for Dark Side
of the Moon and Wish You Were Here too. I got so many ROIOs of live
shows, demos, and TV/radio from the Animals era and earlier that I
figure this means the bill came due for those.

I listed to The Wall again a few months ago, after a long time. I
heard it so many times as a teen, and not very often since. From a
current perspective, it was a surprising combination of 70's
singer-songwriter, total camp, and death disco, plus the sprinkle of
spoken bits and electronic noises that many of us would associate with
the 1st and 2nd waves of so-called "industrial". If anyone's managed
somehow not to have heard it up to now, you might be surprised.

--Mark