[kj] Rip It Up & Start Again...

andrew scott brandymoth at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 12:33:59 EDT 2012

 Yeah I read the book, about 3/4 years ago or so.  Obviously although Mr Reynolds has done admirable amount of research, the feeling I got is that quite clearly he has his favourites.  Sadly not all my heroes from the Post-Punk scene  are there: ie I am going to see The Furs next week & there is no mention of them at all   So what would u describe The Furs as then?!!  They certainly had post-punk sound to me, veering towards hardcore at times almost in their early stage & were  big influence on other bands like The Sisters etc.  As well as not giving KJ as much space as he could have done, The Cure are also conspicuous by their absence, considering their influence & support.  What mention they do get is fairly negative. And yet others like The Cravats (no one of mine) etc are not mentioned at all, only in a playlist. By contrast some bands have too much & others well, I would question lot of their talent & importance, eg Scritti Politti.
You could argue he sticks to favoured members of the canon  & obviously being a member of The Wire Brigade operates very much in that area.  However I have never looked at the internet links for the book, so perhaps those would prove me wrong.

The Fungus Moth.

Challenging the Future.