[kj] The Cult @ The Hollywood Palladium

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 15:15:29 EDT 2012

sade1 wrote:

I was tempted to see Van Halen a coupla
weeks back. Does Davey still jump and do those
air-splits? http://davehillonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/david-lee-roth_b.jpg

++++++++++++++

Not anything like he did back when that photo was taken, which was around 1981. I saw both LA area Staples Arena shows a couple
weeks ago from the 3rd and 6th rows respectively.

I've seen Van Halen probably almost 20 times (although lost interest during the Hagar era) dating way back to 1977 before they even
had a record contract. These days, Dave still has a decent amount of energy on stage, but it's limited to a few spinning kicks and
goofy dance moves. He easily gets winded, for some reason he tries to sing way out of his range so he's not really the high point
of their current tour. But he *is* entertaining (and getting weirder as he gets older) for the most part so I guess that counts for
something. The real plus about this tour is Eddie Van Halen is finally clean and sober and is playing at a level I haven't seen
since the late 80's. I also think their latest studio album ranks among their best records from the original Roth era albums.

Here's some clips I shot from both shows:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuVJZIYgeM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-3tglu4dw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_esTF5yd-aw

More on my channel.....