[kj] London 16/9/12, early KJ show

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 09:34:49 EDT 2012

I see your point about record sales, but I'm not sure it's as clear-cut as that, even from a purely mercenary, accountant's-eye-view. Despite both being huge in the 1980s, neither the Mission and the Cult have released an album worth hearing since December 31st 1989. I know that's subjective, but whereas Killing Joke have received a majority of favourable reviews for every album since Pandemonium, the others haven't. Outside of the 'gothic' media, the Mission's albums haven't been even mentioned- let alone actually reviewed- since Masque. It's slightly better for the Cult, admittedly. Whereas Jaz (and to a lesser extent the others) turns up in almost every big music mag (in particular Kerrang, Metal Hammer and RockSound) whenever they're working on an album, I think I've only seen one feature with Astbury and Duffy in God knows how many years (there was one in Classic Rock). I know I haven't seen Wayne Hussey interviewed since 1994. The Mission and
the Cult crop up in frequent compilations of their earlier stuff, but even smaller stores usually stock Killing Joke's latest album.

Obviously I'm talking about the UK here, I know it's different in the US. People go to see the Mission and the Cult for their hits. 75% of the audience wouldn't shed a tear if both bands never played anything less than 22 years old. The kids I see at Joke gigs go nuts for Asteroid or This World Hell or Depthcharge, songs from the then most-recent album, as well as the 'classics'. Even speaking only financially, that's got to be important.

Jim.