[kj] Peter Hook (ex-Joy Division) and The Light on Tour 2012

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Sat Jun 2 05:08:28 EDT 2012

Peter Hook's band truly exceeded expectations. They came on just before
20:25 (a bit earlier than planned) and played through to the 22:00 curfew
with only a short break before the sizeable encore.

A number of tracks including Dead Souls and The Sound Of Music were played
before they went through the 9 songs off Closer in order. Some of the later
songs included Transmission, Digital, Disorder, Day Of The Lords, New Dawn
Fades, She's Lost Control, Shadowplay, Love Will Tear Us Apart and ending as
Robert said with Ceremony. After they left the stage the PA carried on with
"Public Image" before Happiness (not sure whose version) filled the air and
it was mightily appropriate as most people must have been beaming from ear
to ear - me & my two old mates were. Not only did the band nail the songs
completely, Hooky's vocals were staggeringly good, sounding eerily like Ian
Curtis. I guess that others on here must have caught Hooky's band over the
past year - what's the general feeling ? I went to my first gig in April
1980, less than a month before Ian Curtis died so I never saw JD but have
seen the odd JD song played during a New Order set - for me this performance
was tremendous, I'll be going to see them again , no doubt about that.

There's something going on in MMXII - for me it just gets better and better
- last week I was equally ecstatic at the Brixton Academy bopping to the
classic Buzzcocks line-up of 1977-81 then even more awestruck as Garvey left
the stage, Diggle switched to bass, Howard Devoto came on and they ploughed
through the Spiral Scratch EP. And that came a week after the penalty shoot
out miracle in Munich :o) A week or so before that there was also Theatre
Of Hate at the O2 Academy Islington with Kirk, Stan and John Boy on sax.
Photos up on FB for the TOH gig and my Munich trip for those who are
interested. Cheers.

Regards, Antoni