[kj] London Roundhouse

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:33:14 EST 2012

Arvid, if you face a huge hotel bill in Camden/Central London (which is likely), but can get a decent price in Ilford/Barkingside, take the Ilford/Barkingside option, in my opinion.

These places are alright. My wife's from around there - and I have very high standards... Sure, you won't want to take pictures and the Queen doesn't live there, but they are fine for a cheap night or two with easy access to the city and West End.

To look at your journey options go to 'Transport for London' (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/) and go through the Journey Planner link on the right-hand side.

I did a quick look for a journey next Monday night at 11.20pm and you're looking at about an hour, but that's average in London.

The main hassle is to get to Liverpool Street train station/Underground. Then its the tube or overland train out. My sense is that Ilford is better for overland trains, Barkingside for underground, but both go from Liverpool Street. You may have to factor in a bus or longish walk when you get off.

The journey is in fact a piece of pis*, but obviously if you're not familiar with our Victorian transport system, then ...