[kj] OT OT - HOUSTON DEAD

LONESTYLE at aol.com LONESTYLE at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 15:54:54 EST 2012

Yeah I agree Jon.

Cheers,

~ LB

In a message dated 2/12/2012 10:05:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jonniespatula at hotmail.co.uk writes:

I'm feeling the same way about Whitneys death as i did Michael Jackson and
the Great Princess Diana...................I couldn't give a fuck.

Not only were her songs awful,her voice was too........... And who said
Drugs are a bad thing for society ??? Rest in Peace Whitney,seriously.

' underscored how very much joy Whitney's music DID bring to stupid
fucking people '

Our own Todd "Fluw" Wulfmeyer wrote a nice little anecdote on his his
Facebook page about once witnessing Houston perform from a rare backstage
vantage point and it made me consider her talent in a different way.

I mean, personally speaking, I COMPLETELY DESPISED Whitney Houston's
music. When her first album debuted back in the 198whatever, I was working as a
luckless dishwasher at posh Long Island eatery, and that tape went into
maddeningly regular rotation in the in-house stereo system. "Saving All My
Love For You" and "The Greatest Love of All" were really enough to send me
into fits of apoplectic rage after a while that a friend of mine and I
actually scaled up the fridges to disconnect the speakers the fed the back
kitchen. I fucking HATED that overblown, syrupply hoary, needlessly melismatic
bullshit. See also Mariah Carey and all the rest of that crap.

As was completely the same case with Michael Jackson, the music I sought
out at the time (and, for that matter, still) served as the ANTIDOTE to the
inescapable Whitney Houston. Did she have a powerful voice? Certainly, but
that doesn't mean I have to like what she did with it. On other fronts, she
also seemed to embody everything negative about the "DIVA" stereotype
(although, our Jaz is kinda guilty of that as well, sometimes).

So yeah, I hated Whitney Houston's music. But Fluw's account underscored
how very much joy Whitney's music DID bring to people. I'm usually of the
mindset that people need to raise their standards and listen to what I'd
consider to be better music, but really -- that's all ridiculous, fight-picking
bluster (who ME?)

Whitney Houston's music -- as much as I may not have enjoyed it -- did
mean a great deal to a lot of people, For that alone, it's a loss (to say
nothing of the bizarre farce that her marriage to Bobby Brown evidently was). I
can't imagine how her daughter has remained sane.

Alex in NYC