[kj] OT OT - HOUSTON DEAD

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 12 09:50:26 EST 2012

Our own Todd "Fluw" Wulfmeyer wrote a nice little anecdote on his his
Facebook page about once witnessing Houston perform from a rare
backstage vantage point and it made me consider her talent in a
different way.

I mean, personally speaking, I COMPLETELY DESPISED Whitney Houston's
music. When her first album debuted back in the 198whatever, I was
working as a luckless dishwasher at posh Long Island eatery, and that
tape went into maddeningly regular rotation in the in-house stereo
system. "Saving All My Love For You" and "The Greatest Love of All"
were really enough to send me into fits of apoplectic rage after a
while that a friend of mine and I actually scaled up the fridges to
disconnect the speakers the fed the back kitchen. I fucking HATED
that overblown, syrupply hoary, needlessly melismatic bullshit. See
also Mariah Carey and all the rest of that crap.

As was completely the same case with Michael Jackson, the music I
sought out at the time (and, for that matter, still) served as the
ANTIDOTE to the inescapable Whitney Houston. Did she have a powerful
voice? Certainly, but that doesn't mean I have to like what she did
with it. On other fronts, she also seemed to embody everything
negative about the "DIVA" stereotype (although, our Jaz is kinda
guilty of that as well, sometimes).

So yeah, I hated Whitney Houston's music. But Fluw's account
underscored how very much joy Whitney's music DID bring to people. I'm
usually of the mindset that people need to raise their standards and
listen to what I'd consider to be better music, but really -- that's
all ridiculous, fight-picking bluster (who ME?)

Whitney Houston's music -- as much as I may not have enjoyed it -- did
mean a great deal to a lot of people, For that alone, it's a loss (to
say nothing of the bizarre farce that her marriage to Bobby Brown
evidently was). I can't imagine how her daughter has remained sane.

Alex in NYC