[kj] Releases of the year - 2012

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 07:42:04 EST 2012

Okay, my turn. As usual, most of my purchases have been past albums, but I did pick up a few 2012 releases:

Killing Joke: MMXII. Really like this one. It's had more play than any of their albums since Pandemonium. Not uniformly fantastic, but the good tracks are really bloody good.

Swans: The Seer. Not a huge Swans fan, but I do like what I've heard. I've been in a much more up-tempo musical mood, so I haven't listened to this one a great deal but I do think it's pretty damn good.

LM.C: Strong Pop. LM.C are a visual kei band who are probably best described as electro-rock. Bouncy and relentlessly chirpy, Strong Pop might be their best album. Live they simply explode: stupidly loud, the guitars now in drop-C. Best show I've seen in a while.

Honourable Mention goes to The GazzettE for Division. Not been much of a fan of visual kei band The GazzettE in the past, but Division has some bloody good material on. Unfortunately they choose to separate the songs into one side of melodic rock and one side of industrial/techno-flavoured metal. Side 2 is fantastic, but side 1 drags. If they'd put the best few songs from side 1 in with side 2, the album would have been a giant. Other bands- most obviously the much-missed VK icons D'espairsRay- managed to blend the pounding riffs and the melody pretty well. It's a shame, because Division could have been brilliant.

Best reissues goes to the Japanese editions of This Mortal Coil's back catalogue: Blood, It'll End In Tears, Filigree & Shadow. All excellent.

If we're including compilations, my awards go to Propaganda's Noise And Girls Come Out To Play and An Introduction To... Laibach.

My favourite musical discovery of 2012 would be legendary Japanese 1980s metal band Dead End.

Checking iTunes, it seems the albums I've been listening to most in the past years are MMXII, Prong's Rude Awakening, Rammstein's Made in Germany, 3.2.1. by Zilch, Dead End's Zero and Schweinstein by Schwein. Pretty much an industrial year, I guess!

I'll shut up now.

Jim.